Thursday, April 23, 2015

Rick St. Dennis Altered Paint Brush


Hi everyone. I thought it was high time that I altered another paint brush. I haven't played with one in ages and had the perfect Rick St. Dennis image for the job. My paint brush was just a dollar one from Walmart...such an inelegant start but I blinged and sparkled it up plenty to make up for its humble beginnings.


I featured part of the Cat Glasses image from Rick's Zibbet shop, colouring her with Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils. Cat was relieved of her beautiful top knot as I wanted the bristles to become her upswept hair. She was fussy cut and then matted in black. Grape Crush Stickles, a gorgeous mix of purple and turquoise glitter, was added to her glasses frames and Glossy Accents added to the lenses.


A palette knife was used to layer on pink paint mixed with embossing paste, adding lots of texture. While it was still wet, tiny glass beads were pushed into it to make it even more fancy-smancy. A wash of Hottie Patottie Hot Pink Starburst spray was layered over the top as well as matte medium to help keep the beads in place. Cat's necklace was created with flat pearls and a brad.


The bristles of the brush were sprayed with the same pink Starburst spray as Cat's collar. Tickled Pink Stickles were brushed over that with my finger to create shimmer and sparkle. Two layers of two toned patterned paper were cut along the pattern lines and layered over black cardstock which was then trimmed as a mat. Black Diamond Stickles was added to the lines where the papers overlapped. This piece was wrapped around the base of the bristles and adhered with wide scor tape. A length of washi tape was added to the metal ferrule and a length of metallic cording was used to tie the two patterns together. To complete her lovely outfit, purple gems and white pearls were adhered to the points of her crown and black pearls formed her buttons on the handle of the brush which became her upper body.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Cat and I appreciate your fine company. Be sure and check out Rick's Zibbet shop. There are many other of the 1100+ images there that would work beautifully for other altered paint brushes :) I would love to hear or see what ideas you have.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

3 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Bonnie - can I just say WOW!!! This is fabulous. I love the image and all the sparkle and bling. Her pearl necklace is just super. Great work. xxx

Crafting Vicky said...

That is very cool and creative! Your creativity never seize to amaze me!!!!

ParkNSlide said...

I'm loving the sparkly cat eye glasses and your vivid color palette. A fun project!