Thursday, December 06, 2012

Visions of Sugarplums ~ Day 4



Today is my turn to show you a project that I made for Visions of Sugarplums. Have you been checking out the other projects each day? All it takes to win wonderful prizes is to leave comments. Easy-peasy.



I decided to make an altered canvas for my project. I am absolutely smitten with Olde World or Victorian Santas and I found a wonderful downloadable Santa postcard sold by The Velvet Rabbit on Etsy. I printed him and then heavily distressed the edges before applying Vintage Photo Distress Ink over the roughened edges. I mounted cheesecloth to the back of Santa and placed foam tape on the top of it.





The canvas has crumpled white tissue gel mediumed to the gessoed canvas so that it formed creases and wrinkles. Once that was dry, two shades of brown acrylic paint and a little Quinacridone Nickel were sponged over the tissue wet on wet to blend it and give the look of old leather. That was allowed to dry before torn and inked book text DP was adhered. Gold and copper acrylic paints were pounced through punchinella as well as a CW stencil and onto a stamp. The same colours were used to dry-brush over the creases in the tissue for some highlights. The Santa image was adhered to the canvas before continuing.





White lace was toned down with Antique Linen Distress Ink and then adhered to the bottom of the canvas. TH bead chain was glued along the edge of the lace. The metal numbers were roughly covered with copper alcohol ink, allowing the silver to peek through in some places. A large watch charm was popped up on foam tape and distressed slightly with the same alcohol ink. More of the beaded chain was adhered with Glossy Accents in a meandering path starting at the watch. Three large copper coloured half pearls and a silk poinsettia with Stickles accents were the finishing touches.



I hadn't created an altered canvas in a while and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Note to self: don't wait so long next time :) Thanks for dropping by today. Be sure to leave a comment and to hop on over to the rest of today's Visions of Sugarplums participants and comment on each one. You could have a winning comment. How fun would that be?!

Here are the links for Thursday's Visions of Sugarplums particpants:
Giveaways: 1 set of choice - Paper Sweeties - http://www.papersweeties.com/
1 set of choice - Moonlighting by Mary - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MoonlightingByMary
Christmas Creation - Mitra - link above
1 set of choice - Paper Sweeties - http://www.papersweeties.com/
 
Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

17 comments:

Karon said...

Love this canvas. The Father Christmas image is awesome. Love all the attention to details. TFS

http://karonskraftykorner.blogspot.ca/

Lori said...

Your altered canvas is beautiful! I love the old world Santa and that pretty poinsettia. Happy Visions of Sugarplums!

Unknown said...

Bonnie,
I love this! The colors and that gorgeous vintage image coupled with the elements you used make like a beautiful piece of art. You should do this more often because you have a real talent for it. I'd love to win it, but if I don't lol then I'd like to commission one from you. It's incredible!
Hugs,
Lisa

ParkNSlide said...

That lace is just the perfect icing on the cake! Love the whispy cheesecloth behind the image too. You have the BEST ideas!

May said...

Gorgeous canvas... Love the fabulous image & design.. Great textures & colours.. AmAzing attention to detail... Love it!!! This blog hop has been Fantastic all the creations are so inspiring Thank you x x x Hugs May x x x

Words and Pictures said...

What a gorgeous piece, Bonnie! The background is absolutely wonderful, and I love the vintage image, so beautifully layered with the cheesecloth - lovely!
Alison x

Laurart said...

Fantastic! I adore vintage Christmas images. This is really a wonderful creation xxx

Unknown said...

Your canvas is gorgeous! Love it!!

Sharla said...

I LOVE this, I love the canvas and the vintage santa! I've been wanting to do a canvas for a long time....I need to get on that! :)

Miriam Prantner said...

I love that vintage Saint Nicholas image, what a beautiful piece!

Unknown said...

Love different texture you add into this canvas makeover project. Old leather part particularly catch my eye. Definitely want to give it a try in my project.
Thanks for inspiration. Stop by from Craft Us Crazy

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

What a FABulous Santa project you've shared today! Love it!!!
Happy Huggies & Sweet Blessings to you ~
Sharron♥

Sue D said...

Love the vintage look of this fabulous altered canvas.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Another PIN! This is my new favorite of yours! The wrinkled texture and dark colors bring this old world guy to life! WOW!!! Absolutely STUNNING!!!

Karen Letchworth said...

This vintage Santa is so lovely, and you've done a beautiful job with this. Thanks for being part of this sweet and inspiring hop. Have a blessed day, and thanks again! Lots of fun along the way.
Blessings,
Karen
www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

OMW - what can I say apart from I think this is STUNNING. I love vintage and i also love St Nick in the sepia tones. We are so lucky to have you on our team.
Hugz Elaine aka Ellapu x

Cathy Dineen said...

This is beautiful! :)