Monday, October 28, 2019

Joggles Art Journal Adventure Week 43 - Masks


Hi everyone! We are in the final ten weeks of the Joggles Art Journal Adventure 2019...hard as it is to believe! This is Week 43 and the prompt this week is Masks since Halloween is only a few days away. I decided to go more with masquerade masks as I am not a fan of spooky and I didn't know where to go with a carved mask, both of which were options.


I searched in magazines to find a face which would fit my 6x8 inch journal page and which was a full frontal view and came up with this one of Helen Mirren which suited my purposes perfectly. I fussy cut her head and neck and then used black pen to doodle some hair and facial lines. I added Posca Paint pen to her eyes, changing the colour and opening them slightly more. Her cheeks were Abandoned Coral Distress Oxide ink layered onto white paper and circle punched. Her mouth was a heart punched from Posca painted paper and shaded with coloured pencil. I used flesh coloured acrylic paint to tone down her lipstick so that the heart became a Red Queen mouth.


Once she was sufficiently altered, I started on the mask. I cut a mask shape from mixed media cardstock and dipped it into Abandoned Coral and Scattered Straw Distress Oxide inks watered down on my craft sheet. I dipped and dried these two colours several times until I got the patterning and coverage I liked. The v/triangle marking on the forehead was from a Karen Burch stamp and Deep Purple Archival Ink. The strips above the eye openings are patterned paper dotted with white Nuvo Drops. The markings along the bottom edge of the mask and below the eyes are purple and white Posca Paint Pens and the ones across the forehead were created with a Pentel Milky Pop pen. A silver star sequin was added between the eyes and a puple rhinestone was added to the bottom of the V stamp. Two shimmery flowers were given purple rhinestone centers and added to each upper  corner. The mask was popped up on foam tape and thin black satin ribbons were added to each side before the mask was adhered to Helen's altered face.


The background was created using the same dip and dunk (wrinkle-free) technique as the mask with the same two colours of Distress Oxide. Once the multiple layers were dried, a harlequin design was stencilled on with Deep Purple Archival ink. The same ink was used to ink the edges of the page before black Big Brush Pen was added. The wording was printed onto white cardstock, matted with black, and popped up with foam tape. A simple doodled black border finished the background which was then adhered to the black cardstock matting.

Thanks for joining altered Helen and me today. We're excited to see what the others in the Joggles AJA Facebook group do with the Masks prompt. It's going to be fun!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: