Thursday, November 08, 2018

Stop Thinking - inspired by a Vera Lane Studio image


Hi everyone! It had been so long since I had created an art journal page from scratch with an image I coloured and a background I created that I felt a little overwhelmed and kept procrastinating. My hands, although better than they were, are still not back to "normal" so I was lacking confidence. By nature, I am an intuitive art journaller...I rarely have more than a thread of an idea of what I want to do and just go where the page takes me. The problem was that I was over-thinking the whole process and kept getting in my own way. Finally I decided to just start and stop thinking :) It worked!!


I coloured this fabulous image by Vera Lane Studio called Heads and Borders using my Prismacolor pencils. I added white highlights and darkened the black lines with Posca paint pens and then cut her out. I punched the earrings out of a scrap of green mop-up paper, used an Inktense pencil to shade, and added Glossy Accents to give them a shine. Love her!


She was destined to star on the first page of a 6 x 6 watercolour journal. I used a large mop brush to lay some water in a loose rectangle making sure to leave white space around the edges. Using blue and green Koi watercolours, I filled in the background blending in some places and leaving the colours pure in others. Once dry, I again used my black Posca paint pen to doodle a checkered border around the watercolour. The stencilling on the background was done with a BadAss stencil and Viridian Archival ink. Stamping was done with Garden Patina, Manganese Blue, and Jet Black Archival inks.

The wording, a reminder to myself and perfect for the first page of an art journal, was done on the computer, fussy cut, and matted with black cardstock. Both the wording and the image were adhered to the page with Fabri-Tac glue. I added a little date and called it done :) Not only did I clear that hurdle I had set up for myself but I also had a blast doing it. Go me!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: