Saturday, June 23, 2012

Together


My art journal called to me again today...and it was much louder than the vacuum or the door which needs staining. Funny how that often happens :)

Today I started with a gessoed page to which I added watercolour paints to start my background, Then the pan pastels came out along with some stencils sitting on my messy desk. Then just 'cuz I could, I spritzed with some spray inks, dabbed some circles in with acrylic paint, and stamped using Distress Ink. When the background was sufficiently messy and still wet, I moved on to the flowers.


The faces for the flower centers are part of a larger montage design from CS Designs called Best Friends. While I love the whole stamp, I'm especially crazy about these faces with the rectangular eyes and bow mouths...so fun! Anyway, they were coloured with Prismacolor pencils and OMS to blend. I was playing with different skintones to see how certain colours worked together ... experimenting  because it's my art journal. The images were glued to the center of these large paper flowers from my stash. Doodled stems and burlap leaves were added.


Hmmm, now back to the background. The sun was added with yellow pan pastel and a stencil. Tickets from my stash were adhered. The little arrow, bracket, and heart box were from my leftovers box. The sentiment is another digi stamp from CS Designs and the bumbly bees are from a stamp buried on my desk. Next came the doodles and scribbles and scrawls done with my favourite black pens. Finally black ink was generously added to the outside edges. Even though the colours are more subdued than usual for me, these pages made me smile during the making and after so I'm happy.

Hope they make you smile, too. Thanks for visiting. I'm glad you came by.

I'm entering this journal spread in the following challenges:
Crafty Calendar Challenge ~ Flowers in Bloom
Crafty Mess Challenge ~ Use Paint
Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges ~ 3 things
Stampin for the Weekend ~ Show us your style (Funky/artsy)

Hope you get a chance to get inky, painty, messy this weekend.
Life is good; so is art.


Bonnie

13 comments:

Mynn xx said...

AWESOME pages!!! LOVE the faces in the middle of the flowers--these really do combine to make a fabulous work of art! :)

ParkNSlide said...

I love flower people and those faces are perfect for making them. Your journal pages are spectacular.

cheryl said...

this is just brilliant,the detail is stunning,and love those faces,I just adore faces,and CS Designs do them,brilliantly, amazing art work hugs Cherylxxxx

Janis Lewis said...

Bonnie, I'm so glad you entered this challenge because this makes me smile. I love it! Those faces on the flowers are perfect, and I love the sun. Thanks for playing with us at Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges. If you haven't already, you may want to enter this into my other challenge blog Paper Playtime #77 Anything Goes plus a sentiment. Smiles :) Janis
http://paperplaytime.blogspot.com/

Paula said...

Hi Bonnie
I love this Page the sentiments and those smiley flowers just lovely. Yes they made me smile thanks for sharing this:o)

The EmBellished Card - Belinda said...

Bonnie, this is so interesting. Love the faces in the flowers. They seem happy to see the sun. Thanks for playing along with us at Pause Dream and Enjoy Challenges.
Blessings,
Belinda
http://theembellishedcard.blogspot.com

mum of two said...

Your project is beautiful. I just love the flowers. Thanks for playing with us at Pause Dream Enjoy this week. Hope to see you again soon :)

michelle
http://mumoftwoblog.blogspot.com

Lizzie Laine said...

Your project is awesome, love those faces!

Thanks for joining us at Pause Dream Enjoy Challenge:)

Eliane
PDEC DT

Anonymous said...

Love this very imaginative. Thanks for joining us at craftymess.

TRACEY MO said...

What very different project very cool!!!

Thanks for joining us are craftymess

Tracey dt

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Yummy creative goodness here! I recently just started my art journal, and love looking at other's! Those flowers are fantastic and whimsical....so fun!

Unknown said...

Stunning, just lovely work, thanks for playing with us at craftymess challenge blog

hugs
Judie xx

PinkyLisasInkyCrafts said...

Thank you for joining in the challenge over at crafymess challenge blog http://craftymesschallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/

What a great project, very different but really made me smile. Well Done...Cant wait to see more xx

Hope to see you joining in future challenges at craftymess.

Lisa xxxx