Wednesday, December 04, 2013

And now for something completely different...(be gentle)


If you are a regular follower of my blog, you know that I love to colour or paint faces. What you may not know is that I'm not nearly as confident in my sketching skills. I have taken a few online classes to improve these skills, both fantasy drawing and more realistic drawing but I don't practise enough. One of the classes I took was Facecinating Girls from Andrea Gomoll. She is an excellent teacher who also has stamps that will give you the outline of the eyes, tips of noses, and various mouth shapes. They give me a great starting point to train my eyes and hand. In her class, she taught us how to proportion faces and alter the stamped features. I enjoy playing with them and coming up with my own faces and stories.


Sometimes when I go to the hospital to visit my mom, she is very sleepy and I get super antsy trying to be still and quiet. I decided that it's a wonderful opportunity to do a little sketching while Mom catches up on some ZZZZZs. Before I left home, I stamped a few sets of features in my sketchbook using Wendy Vecchi's Watering Can Archival ink. I like the light gray because then I can alter the shapes with my pencil. All I needed to take with me was my sketchbook, my eraser, and my mechanical pencil. These are two of the faces I sketched  and shaded the other day. I still have a long way to go but it certainly made the time pass quickly and I enjoyed the chance to play without colour for a change.

Thanks for visiting today. I appreciate your company on this artistic journey.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

1 comment:

~ginny said...

Good for you! What a perfect thing to do while you are waiting on your Mom! Carrying a pad and pencil is not a big thing - and you can have it with you always. You are doing great with your gal's faces BTW! My thoughts are with you both!
~ginny