Wednesday, December 18, 2013

S is for...altered dictionary


It's time for my weekly eP post. As soon as I saw this adorable sleepy elf from Mitzi Sato-Wiuff's shop AuroraWings, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I hadn't done the S page in my altered dictionary and Sleepy was perfect for what I had in mind. I coloured her with Prismacolor pencils and fussy cut her, before popping her up on foam tape. She sat quietly waiting for me to give her a place to reside.


The background started with the two page spread being adhered to the pages before and after with matte medium. Gesso was then applied to the pages I needed, making sure to leave the definition uncovered. Once the gesso was dry, pink and yellow Neocolor II watercolour crayons were scribbled across the pages and then spread with more gesso instead of water. This softens the watercolours and gives a muted and blended look. I was going for a gentle sleepy-time baby look.


Various shades of pink and yellow gelatos were used to intensify the colour in places, especially around the edges and the center fold. A little gesso on a wet brush was used to spread and soften the gelatos.


Stencilling was applied using gesso and TCW's Mini punchinella stencil. Picked raspberry was applied through TCW's Halftone borders stencil as well as though their Confetti stencil. Vintage Photo Distress ink created the dots through a stencil from my stash. Rocket Red Gold Brilliance ink was pounced through a hanging star stencil  and Tim Holtz's Measured stencil via a make-up wedge. That ink has a shimmer to it.


My old favourite TH script stamp was used with Picked Raspberry Distress ink to create some random text and a dotty stencil from my stash was used with the Rocket Red Gold to make spotty clusters.


The flag papers came from Me & My Big Ideas Mambi sheets and were cut in various size triangles and adhered around the edges. More stamping and some doodling was done to embed them into the background. Sleepy was tucked into place and some phrases were done up on the computer, cut out and edged with Picked Raspberry. The word Sleepy is Idea-ology Ransom Alpha Parts which I adhered to the page with Glossy Accents. Plain cream washi tape was given a checkerboard pattern with a pink Sharpie and then glued to the page so it would stay put. Pink dotty washi tape was also added beside Sleepy.


The finishing touches were more doodling around the edges, the addition of three threaded buttons, and a wooden S tile to mark the dictionary page. The colouring in of the loopy border around the definition was done with a white gel pen.

Thank you so much for popping in today. I am grateful for your interest and support of my artsy journey...you add so much to my happiness :)

I am entering this project in the following challenges:
Through the Craft Room Door ~ Anything Goes
Bearly Mine Challenges ~ #117
Love to Create ~ #96 Anything Goes

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

Here are links to the eclectic Paperie store for some of the products I used:

10 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

Absolutely PRECIOUS! The details are amazing and I love the idea of an altered dictionary journal. xxD

ParkNSlide said...

So many fun elements and I love the soft pastel colors.

Unknown said...

I was just surfing your blog and I love all your artwork! This journal page really caught my attention. Love it and all your detail work too.

Mitzi Sato-Wiuff said...

Bonnie, this is amazing! I love the yellow and pink color scheme and all the details you add to your work. PRECIOUS!! *squee*

Anonymous said...

LOVE the image! Your colouring with the muted colors are beautiful! Thanks for joining us this week at Love to Create!

Mei
LTC DT
Anyone for Anya DT
Stampavie and More DT
Creative Fingers DT 

Unknown said...

I really wish I had this in me, but I don't. That leaves me admiring wonderful projects found on net, just like yours. :) This is truly great...
Have an awesome day, Bonnie!

ps. got some candy on my blog...

Crafty Judith said...

adorable project hun - love it x

Sandy said...

Hey Bonnie - I am so behind as usual but so glad I did not miss the delight. The colors are smashing and I love that flag with the little button. You have me singing "sleepy time gal"! That is the sweetest image. You have hit the jackpot with these pages and all the comments. I love it Bonnie!!
sandy

Unknown said...

WOW! Such a beautiful alteration! The images is super sweet, and your design is perfect!
Thank you for sharing your project with us at Love to Create Challenges this week.
Wishing you a blessed Holiday Season!
Ruza, LTC Designer
Ruza's Craft Corner

Natascha said...

Lovely layout! Thank you so much for joining us at Bearly Mine Challenge this time. Good luck!

Hugs, Natascha