Monday, January 26, 2015

TEW New Release - Twisted Venus Beautiful


Hi everyone. There is a new release today at The East Wind and I had the opportunity to play along. Her name is Twisted Venus Beautiful. I am smitten with her long flowy hair...love colouring hair especially in reddish tones. I coloured Venus with Prismacolor pencils and then fussy cut her leaving a narrow white border. This border adds width or strength to her strands of hair so they don't tear when she is popped up on foam tape. It also provides contrast with the black mat and allows her to show up better against the busy background.


This background started as a tag cut from mixed media paper. I often use this paper because it will stand up to all of the wet media I like to use in my backgrounds. It also takes sprays beautifully. I spritzed the background with a combination of rusts, crimsons, paprika, and orange from Tattered Angels, Starburst, Dylusions, and Art Anthology sprays. I added layers by dipping the tag into the over-sprays and then drying it  between dips until I was happy with the mess I had made...lol. I added some stamping using my crosshatch stamp and Jet Black Archival ink, as well as a stamp with multiple circles and orange Blossom Archival ink. Some black gesso rings  were thrown into the mix using bottle lids as the stamps.

Before Venus was adhered to the tag, washi tape adhered to white paper was torn into two sections and added behind her. By layering the tape over white cardstock or paper, it makes the tape more opaque and allows the pattern to be visible without the background changing its appearance. Half circles punched from black cardstock were added to the edges and white paint pen created the dots to tie in with the ribbon topper.


The sentiment comes from Create With TLC, one of my favourite sources for sayings. I paired this one with Venus because I wanted to send a positive message to all females regardless of their age. We are all beautiful and awesome just the way we are. It was printed on white cardstock, edged with Black Soot Distress ink, and matted with black. A length of cheesecloth was layered behind the popped up sentiment. To complete the tag, three large amber coloured gems were added to the bottom right corner and black matting was added to the tag to serve as a frame.

Thanks for coming by today. Venus and I appreciate your fine company. To see what others on The East Wind DT created with this, have a peek on our FB Community page There's more fantastic inspiration there.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

2 comments:

~ginny said...

I am smitten with this tag! That is me - Bonnie - I swear she is my alter ego and I can't quit staring at your piece. I am going to put it on my computer as wall paper if it is ok with you? The gorgeous colors, her hair, that look and above all the bold, beautiful, positive message! What a wonderful piece that really strikes a chord for me - LOL!
~ginny

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Bonnie, this is awesome colouring and design. Loving the mixed media feel and the lush golden orange hues.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}