Saturday, February 03, 2018

Adventure Awaits - Inspired by a Vera Lane Studio image


Hi everyone. I've been colouring and playing again, inspired by this awesome image called The Traveller by Vera Lane Studio. She is part of a 7 digi set including this image, some sentiments, and adorable travelling accessories. So cute! I've been wanting to create with Beatrix (the traveller's name) for ages.


I coloured Beatrix with a mix of Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils. I wanted strong colours for her hat and coat because a lot of the background was going to be neutrals or vintage tones. Beatrix was fussy cut leaving my usual narrow white border, matted with black, and then fussy cut again leaving a narrow black border. Foam tape was adhered to the back to pop her up, adding dimension and natural shadow.


I had a 4.25 x 5.8 inch rectangle of cardstock which I had gel printed, stamped, and decorated with Texture Paste.  anIt was smaller than I usually play with but I loved the colour scheme and I wanted to make it work. I matted it with black cardstock and then layered pieces of travel ephemera around it. The sweet vintage car image came from Tlc Creates Vintage on Etsy, part of a wonderful travel set. The rest was pieces I had from various other sources. I laid everything out on a black 6 x 8 inch background, and then tacked the elements together using liquid glue. I could then add foam tape to the back of the Travel the World image as well as the air mail envelope to pop them up like Beatrix.


The sentiment was printed onto white cardstock and cut into sections, all of which were matted with black. The open parts of the letters were coloured with a red fine marker. To bring a little more red into the center of the page and emphasize the words "an adventure", I used Glossy Accents to adhere a transparent acetate label with a red border onto the word strip. Foam tape was used to pop up all the sentiment segments.


The black substrate needed some help. There was just too much blank space around the center cluster. Since nothing was adhered to it yet, a machine stitched border was able to be added. Then, with the other layered but not glued over top, I could easily see where I wanted to add a little more texture and detail. I did this by randomly stamping a grid pattern with Versamark Ink and then heat embossing with white detail powder. The final element added to balance the design was a threaded wooden button printed with destination names.

Thanks for joining Beatrix and me today. We appreciate that you took the time to do that :) Be sure to pop by Vera Lane Studio to check out all of the wonderful images and image sets there. Once you do, you will see why I have been so inspired by them lately. They spark my imagination as well as being so fun to colour.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie


No comments: