Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Cute Little Book Page Coin Envelopes


Hi everyone. The other day I watched another of junk journaller, Sabrina Oreskovic's (Crafty Sabby) wonderful You Tube videos. If you haven't checked out her channel, you are missing out. Not only are her ideas and techniques wonderful but her tutorials are very helpful and easy to follow. This particular video was made a few months ago and is called Teeny Tiny Envelope Tutorial. She shows us step by step how to create these fun little 2 x 3.5 inch coin style envelopes out of book paper. When I watch a video, I need to make the item right away or I will not remember how or even that I want to do it...LOL. I made one and had so much fun that I made a bunch...so cute. I added a little washi tape topper to manila tags in my stash which fit perfectly in these envelopes to make them journal ready.


I won't explain the making of these because Crafty Sabby's video shows that better than I could describe. I will, however, show how I decorated the fronts using left over scraps of lace, corrugated cardboard, buttons, washi, and whatever else I found hanging around my crafting table. They might give you some ideas of your own. The photo above shows two envelopes created using washi tape as the focal element. The one on the left is matted with black cardstock and the butterfly has a tiny gear for a head. Tiny coffee stained rickrack adds texture above and below the band. The one on the right in the same picture has washi tape matted with burlap. A butterfly punched from script stamped vintage book paper and decorated with brown pearls for the body was adhered on top of the washi. A scrap of the frayed selvedge edge cut from fabric was tucked under the burlap to contrast with the burlap and provide a fringe texture.


The tag on the left has a length of Prima washi tape adhered to white cardstock to avoid seeing the printed text through the tape, A punched black border was added to the top and a remnant of lace to the bottom edge. The little stacked flower is coffee dyed, layered onto coffee dyed cheesecloth, and topped with a clock brad. It was adhered to the washi over top of a tiny die cut manila tag which had been edged with Coffee Archival Ink. The envelope on the right, which was cut slightly shorter than the others as an experiment, has a layer of scrap designer paper inked and matted with black cardstock for its band. Black lacy washi was used to decorate the bottom edge and a scrap of lace was layered over the designer paper. A corrugated cardboard coffee sleeve was punched to provide both the butterfly and the star in the first photo. I have a stack of these punched, inked, and ready to go. The butterfly body is a game spinner topped with another of those tiny gears.


The black band on the envelope above is Prima washi tape as well. It comes in a collection of three wider tapes. Because it is so dramatic, I only used glittery epoxy stars and shiny silver star sequins to decorate this envelope. Both catch the light and seemed to be all this one needed. For the envelope on the right, I layered a scrap of inked designer paper over a scrap of burlap. The other half of the punched scalloped border from above was tucked under the burlap. A flying bird punched from black cardstock was given a black pearl eye before being adhered to the band. Kraft and black chevron washi tape was placed along the bottom of the envelope and wrapped to the back on this one.


The first of the final two envelopes used a wider scrap of designer paper for the band. The top was banded with measuring tape washi tape and the bottom was decorated with burlap trim. One of those tiny gears was glued to one of the small key heads. Flower trim was adhered both above and below the band. The last envelop was banded with burlap topped with washi tape inked with Coffee Archival, adhered to white cardstock, and matted with black. The butterfly head on the washi was created using a star sequin. The same chevron washi tape was used to decorate the bottom edge.

Thanks for popping by today. I always enjoy your good company :) Thanks also to Crafty Sabby for her inspiring video tutorial. I can see making lots of these of different sizes. It's a great way to use up scraps and bits and have something cute and useful at the end. If you make some, be sure to tag me on FB so I can see them. I'm always looking for inspiration.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie


No comments: