Monday, April 22, 2013

CYP ~ Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend


Time for another challenge at Craft Your Passion. This week the theme is Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend so we want you to think diamond shapes, images of ladies dressed in their finest bling, whatever you can think of related to diamonds. I chose to play with this wonderful Rick St. Dennis image called Mae. Isn't she fabulous? I coloured her with Prismacolor pencils. Someone asked me a while ago if I use odourless mineral spirits and I have to say I rarely do any more. Instead, I use probably 3-4 colours for each hue on the image and I layer them playing back and forth much like people do with Copics. I think it's important to develop your own techniques that work for you and this gives me results I'm happier with than if I use OMS. It's a personal preference thing :) I added some blue metallic gel pen to her feathers and the bottom trim of her dress bodice as well as gold gel pen for her jewellery and tassel. Then Mae was fussy cut, edged in black marker, and blinged up with rhinestones.


For the background, I used gray toned paper from a very old black and white stack, keeping the bottom border intact. The diamond borders were cut from black cardstock using the MFT Harlequin die and adhered with the points touching. Love this die for the many ways it can be put together.


The sentiment which was computer generated and matted in black is an actual Mae West quote which is fun. There are so many saucy quotes from her that it was hard to choose. Her attitude was spunky and fun and Rick captured it beautifully in this digi. I added half pearls in opposite corners to balance the card and provide a different kind of shine and detail while still keeping the glamour. The background is a nod to a gentleman in a tuxedo who would be accompanying the lovely Mae out on the town.

Thanks for stopping by today to visit with Mae and me. We are delighted to have had your company for a while. Be sure to pop over to the Craft Your Passion Challenges blog to see the fabulous inspiration from the rest of the team. I can't wait to see what you create following the diamond theme if you play along with us.

I am entering this card n the following challenges:
613 Avenue Create ~  #16 Anything Goes
Challenges 4 Everybody ~  #18 Anything Goes
One Stitch At A Time ~ #160 Use a Digi
KennyK's Krafty Krew ~ #140 Anything Goes

Life is good: so is art.
Bonnie

12 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

She's so sassy - Mae West's is the perfect quote to go with her!!
Alison x

ParkNSlide said...

I love Miss Mae and how you have styled with the diamond background. She's a stunner.

Redanne said...

Mae is fabulous Bonnie, just as she was in reality and I really love that quote! The harlequin pattern behind Mae is beautiful too. Hugs, Anne x

Sandy said...

"Why don't you come up and see me sometime!"
Such a fun card Bonnie with a great image!!
Sandy

Chana Malkah said...

Cute card! I love the composition of the project! Thanks for playing along with us at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana, Owner

Tracy said...

Sigh....reading your posts makes me realize how little I know about art. Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge Bonnie. This is wonderful. Hugs!

Crafting Vicky said...

Wow I really love the wonderful coloring you have done. Awesome.

Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

Michelle said...

Wow this lady looks amazing with all her diamonds.
xxx Michelle

Unknown said...

Such a lovely card you`ve made :-)
Thanx for joining at Kenny K`s Krafty Krew this week. Hope to see you again soon :-)
Hugs from Karin

Sandy said...

Wonderful image on your delightful card, thanks for joining in the challenge at 613 Avenue Create. Hope to see you again.
Hugs,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Wow,this is fabulous,Bonnie.You couldn't have chosen a better image and you've coloured her so wonderfully.Superb card all round.
Lisa x

Kaylee Snyder said...

Bonnie, that glamorous image was perfect for this challenge. I love the sentiment-it cracked me up!