Yesterday on the eclectic Paperie blog, I posted the final double page spread of my altered child's board book which I started in response to February's Get Altered challenge. Today I want to share the back cover which completes the book (sniff...I've really enjoyed this project and hate to see it end). Because both the front (Flight Risk) and back cover (The Art Of Flying) are visible at the same time and the book is unlikely to ever close again (LOL), I followed the same process as I had on the front cover so they would read as one.
The background was sponged with Beach Hut, Mermaid, Inky Pool, Avocado, and Hey Pesto Fresco Finish paints using a piece of Cut N Dry foam. A torn piece of Idea-ology Melange tissue wrap was adhered over that with gel medium and then more paint was sponged over the wrap to blend it into the background. White gesso was pounced over TCW's Mini Punchinella stencil and once dry, the left side of the chicken wire was lined with a Micron pen.Avocado paint was pounced over the TCW Mini Chevron stencil and then some random script stamping was done with a stamp from Inkadinkado using Archival ink.
Two torn pieces of washi tape were added where the sweet fairy would stand to ground her. Another torn piece was adhered to the top edge. As usual, all washi tape was sealed with gel medium to prevent it lifting over time. The sweet little fairy comes from an adorable Alpha Stamps collage sheet by Nichola Battilana. She was layered with the butterfly wings from the same Winged Things sheet...love her! More butterflies were punched from Authentique's Renew paper pad, stamped with the script stamp, doodled on, and given threaded dotty buttons for bodies. The two tiny ones were also punched from the same paper stack.
The words, which were computer generated on kraft cardstock except for Art which is a Wendy Vecchi stamp (An Eye For Art), make me smile. This really is a book about my art about flying so I'm enjoying the double meaning. White paint pen was added as highlights and patterns and Black Soot Distress ink edging was applied to the torn out words. Memento Teal Zeal ink was used on the stamped word which was popped up on foam dots. Once the words were adhered to the background and the doodling was completed, a final look told me that it needed a little sumpin' sumpin'. I watered down both black and white gesso and made rings using bottle lids. The rings, the script stamping, and the doodling were repeated on the front page of the book for continuity.
That completes this project unless I decide to add a closure which I doubt I will do. This last photo shows how I will display the book...just standing up in all its chunkiness :) Tomorrow I'll post a quick look back at all of the pages since I can't do a flip-through for you.
Thank you for visiting today and for sharing this part of my art journey with me. I've had a blast and am glad you've been along to keep me company. If you are curious about the products I used for this final page, just click on the thumbnails below to find them in the eclectic Paperie shop. Hmmm, I wonder what I will get into next :D
Life is good; so is art.