Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Joggles Art Journal Adventure ~ Week 11 Response
Hi everyone! It was Barb's turn this week to set the prompt for Joggles Art Journal Adventure and she chose Silhouette for week 11. I love using silhouettes because they look great against the busy backgrounds I usually favour. I decided to take some time to play with a few of my new Distress Oxide Inks for the first time while working on this prompt.
The piece started with a 6 x 8 inch rectangle of mixed media paper. I then layered on Worn Lipstick, Fired Brick, and Spiced Marmalade Distress Oxides onto the background using a Mini Ink Blending Tool. My goodness, they blend beautifully. I spritzed with water and heat dried a couple of times because I was curious to see how little water I could use to begin the oxidizing process. Then I smushed the same three inks onto my craft sheet and spritzed with water so I could dip my background into the inks. I dried the background in between each layer and repeated a few times. The last time I smushed Vintage Photo Distress Oxide onto my craft sheet, spritzed, and picked it up with my background. I continued to play drying in between each layer until I was happy with the results. It's an addictive process and I could have played and played :)
When the inks were dry, two Carabelle Studio stamps (small checkerboard and letter background) were applied here and there with Jet Black Archival Ink. Rings were added using the same ink and the lid to my mini spritzer. Ranger Texture Paste was scraped through MFT Weave stencil. As it dried, it picked up some of the Distress Inks which I wanted. I brightened a few of the raised areas in each grouping with white acrylic ink. More of the Fired Brick Distress Ink was placed on the craft sheet and picked up with a waterbrush to deepen the outside edges. Inktense pencil was used to shade next to the geckos which I had cut from black card stock.
Black Big Brush Pen was used to ink the outside edges. Black and white checked washi tape was adhered to white card stock and then glued to the outside edges of the background to create a frame. The background was then adhered to the black card stock that forms the base of each page in this art journal.
Thanks for joining the geckos and me today. We're happy you did that. To see Barb's original post, be sure to pop over to the Joggles blog and click on the 2017 Art Journal Adventure category. We would love it if you decided to join our AJA Facebook group and play along with our weekly prompts.