Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SNP - Iris Folds and Red Hair

For my Stamp N Plus post today, I made a card combining two of my favourite techniques: iris folding and colouring red hair. I love doing both of these things because it's like instant gratification. I always get to the end and think magic happened. Both are easy but you get a big bang for the buck :)


I started this card colouring this SNP image, International Fairy bust (P3763), which had been stamped on white cardstock. I used my Prismacolor pencils but skipped the OMS because the face is small and the hair didn't need it. I inked around the edge of the image where I knew it would show through the opening using Distress ink. The faux stitching was done later.




I cut my printed cardstock to size and stamped on the back with the iris folded square stamp (T-IR056), centering it. Using an exacto knife, I cut out the stamped section in one piece, taped that square to a scrap piece of cardstock and taped it to the front of the card so the stamped square showed through the window I just cut. Next, I cut my orange strips, folded them in half, and inked the folded edge. I really like the effect of this because the pattern of the folds shows up so much better. Then I just started taping down the layers following the lines on the stamped piece and overlapping with the inked side of the strip down (facing the front of the card).


When you turn over the iris folded sheet, feel free to exclaim "WoW!" It does look so cool and complicated even though it isn't. The coloured image was glued in place so that she was centered in the diamond and the faux stitching was doodled. A ribbon with a brad over the knot was adhered to the bottom of the card and three metal buttons were affixed to the top right corner. Finally the entire layer with the folds and image was glued onto the white card leaving a thin border.


Thanks for dropping by today. I hope you will try iris folding on a card very soon. There are so many amazing iris fold stamps at the Stamp N Plus store...for any occasion.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

1 comment:

ParkNSlide said...

Love your choice of patterned paper and that little bit of stitch doodling is just the perfect accent.