Sunday, September 16, 2012

You are fintastic!


Stamp N Plus has a sister blog called Chalk-Ah-Lot Cafe which features the powdered chalk sold in the SNP store. Cindy Groh has been doing a wonderful job every Friday posting tutorials on the many ways that you can use powdered chalk in paper art. She also posts a new challenge every other Sunday on the Chalk blog. I don't have a lot of experience using chalk to create backgrounds or colour in stamped images but I have been following Cindy's tutorials very carefully in order to add one more medium to my repertoire. I've admired the effects she is able to get using chalks and wanted to learn how.  Love choices, love new techniques. Thanks for taking the time to teach us, Cindy.

For this card, I sponged SNP Buzz N Magic paint onto white cardstock a section at a time. While it was still wet, I sponged two colours of chalk, Jade and Jules Blue over the paint, twisting my sponge a bit as I hit the paper. Once the card was completely covered, I dried it with my heat gun (because I'm impatient). Next I used Versamark ink and the Bubbles background stamp (J1834) to randomly and messily stamp the chalked background. While it was still wet, I dipped a paint brush into Dizzy blue chalk and scrubbed it into the Versamarked bubbles. Again, I dried it with my heat gun (same reason).




The image called Large fish (F963) or Ruby in my world was coloured with Prismacolor pencils. Then she was fussy cut and mounted on foam tape. She waited patiently while I put the background together.


The chalked piece was adhered to a layer of blue cardstock and then to the card leaving a thin layer of white showing. A strip of the same blue was embossed with a Cuttlebug folder and glued to the chalked background. Glimmer Misted cheesecloth was wrapped around the card and adhered to the back on each side. Ruby, the fish, was popped up over that cheesecloth. Her little bubbles are Dew Drops. Three buttons were threaded with white floss and glued to the bottom right corner. The sentiment was computer generated, punched out, inked, and mounted on blue striped paper. Faux stitching and foam tape were added to the sentiment piece.

This background is so shimmery and gorgeous IRL. I wish my photography skills would allow me to capture the sheen and depth of colour. These powdered chalks definitely have me intrigued. I'll be keeping an eye out for more of Cindy's tutorials. I see more Chalk-Ah-Lot challenges in my future :)

Thanks for dropping by to visit with Ruby and me. We're happy you did.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie


2 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a fabulous fishy card!!! The colors are gorgeous and bright and flow perfectly! Love the little extra interests in the background!

ParkNSlide said...

Great card---love the bright colors, the bubbles and the fish net.