Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Coffee Monsters ~ RSD Altered Board Book

Hi there! I completed the next three page spreads in my Coffee Monsters children's board book using images from Rick St. Dennis' Cute Monsters. That just leaves me with one more spread plus the front and back covers. Love these little guys and their fun messages. The first of these three features Tworki who needs to apologize for things said pre-coffee. We can all relate to that, I'm sure. Tworki was coloured with Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils, fussy cut leaving a narrow white border, and then matted in black.

The background began with adding black gesso to the pages, followed by burlap and patterned paper. Splatter dots and coffee rings were stamped onto the background layers with Jet Black Archival. Washi tape was added to white cardstock to brighten the colours and then adhered to the background of both sides. A corrugated heart was die cut from a coffee sleeve and the page was then balanced with puffy heart stickers in the opposite corner.

The coffee cup from Rick's pencil cup image was used as a template to cut one from French text paper. It was inked with Tattered Rose Distress ink and brown Inktense pencil. The sentiment was inked around the edges with Vintage Photo Distress ink. More of the little puffy hearts were added for the steam. The coffee title was spelled out with chipboard circles.

The next two page spread features Fwiver who needs to be surrounded by Caution tape because he is unsupervised and filled with coffee. Tworki was coloured and fussy cut like his friend, Tworki.

The background was done with brown and caramel acrylic paint applied to the gesso background with a brayer. Rectangles of dark brown corrugated cardstock as well as the embossed coffee bean paper which I used on an earlier page. Two little orange tickets were stamped with the word Sorry and tucked into the coffee cup cluster. Two copies of a server's pad were reduced and layered behind Fwiver. Pieces of die cut border were added around the edges of the two pages.

The sentiment was printed on white and matted with black cardstock before being added to the coffee mug. White paint dots were added to brown sticker letters to create the title.The mug was coloured with Peeled Paint Distress ink and green Inktense pencil activated with water. Caution washi tape and a small green cup brad, plus a doodled border finished off the spread.

The last spread features Screaming Me Me who is quite upset about spilled coffee. He was coloured and matted the same as the other two.

The background began with splotchy designer paper being adhered to the gessoed background. Vintage Photo re-inker was dripped along the top edge and down the pages (spilled coffee, after all). Additional pattern was added with Tree branch Archival ink and a drip stamp from Ryn and a grid patterned stamp. Coffee bean patterned paper was torn and added to each page. Torn paper towel was added behind the mug, as well as under Me Me. Bits of that same die cut border were adhered under the mug and on the right edge of the spread.

The mug was coloured with Mustard Seed Distress ink and a light brown Inktense pencil. Steam was added in the form of clock hands. The sentiment was inked around with Vintage Photo Distress ink before it was matted with black. The title was added with stickers and outlined with black pen.To complete the pages, a border was doodled, a cup buttton and metal spoon, and a pair of heart stickers were added.

Thanks for joining Tworki, Fwiver, Me Me, and me today. Stay tuned for the final installment of these posts about the Coffee Monsters. I'm excited to see it finished!

Life is good; so is art.

1 comment:

KT Fit Kitty said...

Awesome book! I had to look back through your blog to see more of it!