Saturday, July 30, 2016

Art Journal Adventure Week # 29 Response - Negative Space


Hi everyone! Barb's prompt for Week #29 in her Joggles Art Journal Adventure series was to create a background, add shapes, and paint out the negative space around them. It's the opposite of what we often do and it intrigued me, having not done that before. I decided to feature dragonflies since I absolutely love them...and, of course, I had to change it up a little, too, 'cause that's the way I roll :)


I sprayed the page background with Lindy's Sassy Sapphire, Delphinium Turquoise, and French Lilac Violet. I then drew a dragonfly shape based on several images from the internet onto white cardstock and fussy cut it. I used that to trace around to get the three dragonflies. I then used a scribbled circle stamp and Jet Black Archival Ink to stamp the overlapping circles. And that's when I made a tactical error which I didn't notice until I took pictures in the sun. I used Dylusions Black Marble paint to cover the negative spaces but in hindsight, I should have used black gesso or Liquitex Basics. The Dylusions went shiny in some spots giving an uneven finish and I would have preferred a flat finish. Note to self...


Once the black paint was dry, I used a Medium and a Small Black Pitt pen to doodle in the dragonfly bodies and wings. The eyes were circles punched from black cardstock and doodled with a white paint pen. They were then adhered to the heads. A circles stamp was inked with Garden Patina Archival Ink and was used to add interest to the circles.



White paint pen was used to create a doodled border and Black Big Brush pen was used to edge the page to remove the distracting white edge. Two Idea-ology Big Chat stickers were added to the page and given a doodled border to tie in with the page. The background still looked to plain to me (LOL) so I added Texture Paste through TCW's Tile Texture Stencil to break up the black and add texture.

I'm so glad you stopped by today. If you haven't already been following along with the Joggles Art Journal Adventure and Barb's weekly Monday prompts, it's not too late. You can join in at any point and we'd love to have you join our amazing AJA Facebook group as well. It's a wonderful group filled with creative, friendly, and supportive people who share the same enthusiasm for this fun adventure.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: