Saturday, April 28, 2018

Sweet little junk journal library pockets

Hi everyone! I've been playing with creating junk journal embellishments again to use up my stash and decided to feature some small images cut from old Graphic 45 papers. I have bits and pieces and pages with smaller elements left over from long ago projects created with these papers and I decided to look at them with a junk journaller's eye. They are wonderful for small clusters and collages.

I re-sized a Mirkwood Designs template for the library pocket itself until the width of the pocket once folded was 2 7/8 inches. Then I traced it onto kraft cardstock and fussy cut the pockets. They were then scored along the folds, the thumb semi-circle was punched, and they were glued to close the flaps.

Each pocket was inked with Coffee Archival Ink around all sides. I chose to add faux stitching with a black pen around all the outside edges , both because I like the look and because I enjoy doing it :) Real stitching, or a simple doodled border...or nothing for that matter...would also work.

A torn scrap of vintage book paper was inked around the edges with Coffee Archival Ink and then adhered across the tag to begin the background layering. One of the Graphic 45 images was chosen for each pocket and then other scraps of designer paper or cardstock which had been embossed as well as small Tim Holtz ephemera pieces were auditioned to add detail and layering.

Bits of cheesecloth, small charms, and small buttons were included for added dimension and texture.

Wording from TH Big Chat and Chit Chat Stickers plus other ephemera packs was inked around with Black Big Brush Pen and added to each pocket.

Because I am a fan of black details and outlining, I used a black pen to outline each of the layers of paper on the pockets. I like the contrast with the kraft background and how it frames each element and unites the design. It also ties in with the black faux stitching.

I think these would be so cute glued onto the inside cover or one of the pages in a junk journal. If I was to leave them as floating pockets, I would definitely edge the backs with Coffee Archival Ink and also would faux stitch the backs so they looks more finished.

For the inside library tag, I resized a free image of a library card to just under 2.5 inches wide and printed it onto cream coloured paper. I cut the card front out and adhered it to plain designer cardstock which looked coffee or tea stained. The card was then trimmed again to the library card size and inked around the edges on the back with Coffee Archival Ink to become a future journalling spot.

Thanks for visiting today. I definitely see more of these library pockets in my future...they are so fun to play with that I can't just stop at one batch...LOL.

1 comment:

Jane S said...

I love this Bonnie! You have given me some ideas too. Thanks.