Wednesday, December 05, 2012

SNP Iris Folded Bell


Those of you who know me also know that I love iris folding. Although I am still new to it, I find it very relaxing to do and love the results. Anything that looks complicated and isn't is good in my books. I love "faux-effort" :) So for my Wednesday Stamp N Plus Scrap N post, I decided to play with the iris folded bell stamp. I also thought it would be fun to make a Christmas card in non-traditional colours.


I stamped the bell image on white cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. The image was cut out using an MFT die, and then coloured with Prismacolor pencils. Next, the center of the bell was cut away. A second image was stamped in order to place it right sides together with the coloured image. The lines showing where to place the papers now showed through the bell opening from the backside. I found some fabulous metallic origami papers in these lovely jewel tones so I cut the turquoise one into 1/4 " strips. I inked one edge of each strip with Stazon black ink but I'm not convinced that it really shows. Then I just followed the numbering system, gluing the ends of each piece with Scotch Quick-Dry. Once the tape holding the image and the guide together was removed, I could see the iris folding pattern. Love that moment! I stamped the inside of the bell again with Stazon onto silver origami paper, fussy cut it and glued it over the original image because the white just wasn't doing it for me.

The rest of the card was super easy. The image was matted on black cardstock, faux stitched,  and popped up on foam tape. A large and a narrow rectangle were cut from dotted teal cardstock and the corners of the narrow one were punched to create the fancy corners. Blue patterned paper from the same ol' DCWV Christmas Combo Stack was cut to fit inside the larger rectangle. A tone on tone hot pink ribbon was added to the larger blue stack with another knotted piece added to the top of the base ribbon. Finally half pearls were added to the holes created by the corner punch and this card was done like dinner.

If you haven't tried iris folding, I challenge you to do so. Using the SNP stamps makes it a breeze and there are tons of  stamp choices on the Stamp N Plus website. If you do try it, be sure to leave a link in the comments. I'd love to come and see what you create.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
Created With Love Challenges ~ #20 Christmas Blues
The Stamping Boutique ~ #61 Holiday Cards
Incy Wincy Designs ~ Non Traditional Christmas colours (pink & turquoise)

Thanks for visiting today.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

10 comments:

Shari said...

Very stricking card! I love the colors and your bell really pops! Love it.

Chris Hanselman said...

Adorable. Thanks for joining us at Created With Love Challenges

Chris

ParkNSlide said...

Love the non-traditional colors and the pearls add a touch of elegance.

Words and Pictures said...

Blimey... yet another thing I know nothing about - iris folding is it? More research to be done! Looks fabulous, that's as much as I know so far!!
Alison x

Andrea W said...

Gorgeous metallic bell! I love the colours you used and pearl accents. Glad you joined us at Created With Love Challenges.

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Beautiful card and the colors are fantastic. Iris folding is to complicated for me but you did a wonderful job. thanks for playing along with us at Created with Love Challenges.
Linda K.

Karen Letchworth said...

That bell is just GORGEOUS! I'd really love to have you stop by and link up at Word Art Wednesday. If not this project, then your next. It would be a blessing to have you play with us and share your talents!
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com
Blessings,
Karen

CraftyGirl said...

Such a pretty card love the metallic ornament. Thank you for playing along this week at The Stamping Boutique. Good luck in the challenge and I hope to see you in the next challenge.

TTFN,

CraftyGirl TSB DT
craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The metallic papers really transform this bell is awesome!!! Love the vivid green!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic. I don't know if you could convince me it isn't as hard as it looks. LOL Thank you for joining us at The Stamping Boutique for Challenge #61 - Holiday Cards. We hope to see you in future challenges! Good Luck~Patti TSB DT