Monday, January 19, 2015

Song For Tears ~ New release at The East Wind


There is another fabulous new release at The East Wind today. The image is Lucy Loo Song for Tears. Unky has captured Lucy Loo's emotions beautifully in this image and several of the DT have had a go at interpreting it their own way. When I saw this image of Lucy Loo, I was reminded of how many people fight battles that we know nothing about even though we think we know them. I was thinking about the courage they show daily in their own quiet and sometimes unrecognized way. That inspired this mixed media piece.


 I coloured Lucy with Prismacolor pencils, adding silver gel pen to her tears. She was then fussy cut and matted with black cardstock to allow her to stand out against a strong background. Foam dots on the back of the image added dimension.


The background began with a piece of white mixed media paper which I sprayed with Dylusions Squeezed Orange, Bubblegum Pink, Postbox Red and Pure Sunshine plus a little water. I twisted and turned the paper to allow the colours to blend a little and then dried it. The background was then dipped into the overspray on my craft sheet and a little extra of each colour was added where I wanted it intensified. Once it was dry, I dripped black ink from the top and then it run down the background, helping it in a few spots with a straw in order to get finer lines. I wanted this to look like mascara running down the face during a good cry. Black gesso rings as well as white ones were added to the background with lids to bottles. More white gesso was used to stencil through TCW's Mini Netting template. These were grunged up with a charcoal pencil and a paper stump. Black crackled pattern and scattered dots were added with stamps and Jet Black Archival ink.


Lucy Loo was popped up on foam dots to create dimension and shadow. The sentiment, by Maryanne Radmacher from a pre-printed sheet, was torn around and backed with a very narrow black mat. Using two fabulous rubber stamps from Designs By Ryn (have you seen her fabulous stamps??? you NEED to check them out), the teardrops were stamped onto Ranger Foil paper using StazOn ink. They were then fussy cut and adhered to the background with some popped up and others glued flat.If I were a better photographer, I might be able to capture how cool these look. They have all the incredible detail of Ryn's stamps but they are also reflective so they change colour depending upon what they are reflecting. Love them!


To complete the mixed media spread, I applied lengths of black and white striped paper tape to the back of the mixed media paper, mitering the corners for a cleaner look. Then I matted the entire piece with black cardstock to frame it.

Thanks for stopping by today. Check out The East Wind Facebook group to see how others on our DT coloured and featured this fantastic image. We would love to see what you do with it as well.

Life is good: so is art.
Bonnie

1 comment:

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Bonnie, oh I SO wish I could see these drops in real! They look great in your still shots so I know that with a bit of movement I'd really be able to see the effect! You've inspired me to go try something like this.. Do you think that tin foil would work? That's all I've got. Lol.
I really like what you wrote about your inspiration for this piece as well :)
Please feel free to add this to my monthly challenge. You can add up to 3 projects a month and could win a free stamp. Here's the link: http://www.designsbyryn.blogspot.ca/2015/01/january-customer-creation-challenge.html
Thanks for emailing me :) Wishing you a great week!