Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Alice in Wonderland shadow box ~ Part 1


Hi everyone. I have been playing with a shadow box for a while now and I finally finished it. I had the idea to fill each cubby with one of the scenes from Alice in Wonderland...still one of my favourite books. The shadow box started out as a taupe colour but I wanted black to make the scenes pop so painting it was the first order of the day.


The back piece came off so I tore out pages from one of my many AIW books and collaged the sections onto the background, adhering them with gel medium. Once dry, I set the front back onto the backing, marked the squares on the text paper and used Vintage Photo Distress ink to deepen and age the edges of each square.


From there, it was a matter of choosing twelve characters/scenes and finding the appropriate digital downloaded images. Some came from Etsy, some from Alpha Stamps. I must say I have a large collection so it was easy to find what I wanted.


I decided not to worry about the order...I wasn't trying to retell the story. I only wanted to have a reference to parts I like and to have fun in the creating...which I surely did.


I took the cubbies one at a time starting with the characters first. These were fussy cut and matted in black to help them stand out against the text as well as giving them strength. They were then popped up on foam tape.


I kept the additional background elements simple so as not to compete with the colourful images. I knew once all twelve cubbies were finished that it would look busy so simple was good.


So here are the first 6 of the twelve squares. Come back tomorrow to see the other six and the finished (door and all) project. Don't be late...LOL.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

3 comments:

ann said...

These are all super wonderful Bonnie. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Must have taken you ages my friend, awesome result.x

~ginny said...

I LOVE it Bonnie! What a great keepsake!
~ginny
RubberMAD