Monday, August 17, 2015

Gear Up ~ One Sweet Challenge Mid Month Reminder


Hi all. It's time for the mid-month reminder of our August challenge at One Sweet Challenge. This month our theme is Back to School...not in the traditional sense but as in trying out a new technique or medium. I love this as there were a couple of things I wanted to try and this gave me the little push I needed. This time it was using alcohol inks (not new) on Yupo paper (new to me). It's awesome!


The Sweet Pea Stamps image I chose to feature for this project is Holly Durr's All Aboard. I am such a fan of her images and always enjoy creating anything steampunk. I coloured her with a mix of Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils. A little Glossy Accents was added to the charm hanging from her tunic. She was then fussy cut leaving a narrow white border and matted with black cardstock. Foam tape was added to the back of the image to add dimension.


The background began with a 6 x 9 inch rectangle of Yupo paper which I have never used before. I had seen it on a YouTube video on Joggles' channel and was able to purchase a pad of Yupo at an art store. It looked like too much fun not to try it! Yupo is a coated paper which causes alcohol ink to react in cool and somewhat unpredictable ways. A drop spreads like crazy and gets a halo of another colour around the edges. When dropped close together, you get organic shapes where one pushes into the other. If dropped on top of each other, you get the coolest rings. So fun! I let it dry thoroughly and then stamped some gears over top using black VersaFine ink. The only thing you have to watch is how slippery it is when you set the stamp down. It was also slow to dry so I sprayed a fixative over the stamping before moving on.


Black cardstock was embossed witha TH folder and Treasure Gold, Silver, and Copper were rubbed over the raised pattern to highlight it and create an industrial feel. This was torn into three scraps and adhered onto the background. Metal and cardstock gears, a metal clock face, propeller, and key were all adhered to the background with Glossy Accents. The wording was added with Idea-ology Alpha Tiles. To complete the page, black cardstock was used to mat and frame the piece.

Thanks for stopping by today. To see the other fabulous creations by my teamies, pop over to One Sweet Challenge blog. It's worth the click! You still have two weeks until this challenge ends. We sure would love to have you join us!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: