Monday, September 30, 2019

Joggles Art Journal Adventure Week 39 ~ Dots and Lines


Hi everyone! The other day I came across a fun saying that sparked the prompt for Joggles Art Journal Adventure Week 39. The saying was " A line is a dot on a stroll" and it conjured up a mental image of dots strolling around the page leaving trails behind them. I love adding both lines and dots to my art journal pages and anything polka dotty makes me smile. Thus, this page and the prompt, Dots and Lines, were born.


I had no idea where it was going but I knew that I wanted to use the yellow polka dot paper as the base and I wanted geometric shapes to be the stars. I actually wanted to use scraps of papers I had used for other projects or to clean up gel plates and collect over spray. I cut the yellow paper to the 6x8 inch size I favour and used a strip of black cardstock to run from top to bottom and cover up some inky bits staining the paper. Layered over that, I placed a strip of Lindy's spritzed paper with similar yellow tones. Over that, I layered a Dylusions Creative Dyary sticker adhered to a white strip of cardstock so that the background didn't show through.


I hand cut triangles from a gel printed black and white background which didn't work as a whole piece but was cool when cut into these small triangles. The edges of the triangles were inked with black Big Brush Pen and then outlined again with a smaller Pitt pen once adhered to the yellow base.


The black square was cut from another gel plate print where white paint had been pulled onto black cardstock. The circle below it was an alcohol ink on Yupo paper ATC die cut as a circle and edged with black. A circle stamp from VLV was applied to white cardstock with Jet Black Archival Ink and then fussy cut to layer over the colourful one.


The small inchies above the black square were cut from Asian paper which was gifted to me in a recent swap. I matted the squares with black cardstock because the cream paper got lost on the bright yellow background. A simple border was lined in using a ruler and a black pen and a dot and dash border was added to the yellow spritzed strip. Three small strips of  black were added horizontally on the edge of that same layer. Black circles from a hole puncher were adhered in opposite corners of the page and between the triangles to add another dotty detail and finish the design before it was adhered to the black background page.

I was happy with the way this turned out although it is different in many ways to what I usually create. I like pushing out those boundaries of what is comfortable. It keeps things fresh and helps me learn both from what works and what doesn't. Thanks for popping by. If you get a chance, be sure to check out our Joggles Art Journal Facebook group to see where others go with this Dots and Lines prompt.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: