Sunday, April 14, 2019

Whatcha doin? ~ inspired by Vera Lane Studio images


Hi everyone! Sometimes I get an idea and I can hardly wait to see how it turns out This two page spread in my art journal was one of those times. It combines four separate Vera Lane Studio images from two different sets: the two girls from Peekaboo and the crayons and watercolour palette from Max Makes Art. I love the Peekaboo sweeties and have all kinds of ideas about things they could be peeking over or around but I thought it would be so fun to have them wanting to play along as I make art.


I coloured all of the images with Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils and fussy cut them leaving a narrow white border. I then adhered the crayons and the palette to black cardstock, and adhered the two peekers in place before fussy cutting the images leaving a narrow black border. This gives them strength, allows each pairing to be treated as a single image, and better integrates the girl with her art supply.


I wanted a very drippy "watercolour" like background in rainbow colours so I pondered all of the possible options and settled on seven colours of Lindy's Starburst sprays. In rainbow order, each one was spritzed in a small section at the top of the page and , with the occasional help of water and some tipping of the journal, was allowed to drip down the page. I used Rudolph's Nose Red, Hag's Wart Orange, Yellow Rose of Texas, Drop Dead Gorgeous Green, Sassy Sapphire, Afternoon Delight Denim, and Witch's Potion Purple. The book was then laid flat and the colours were allowed to pool at the top over the previous spraying. Once dry, the upper edges of each colour were intensified with a corresponding Archival Ink.


The wording was printed onto white cardstock and matted with black. A torn strip of black cardstock was adhered to each page to ground the images and Jet Black Archival Ink was applied to a star stamp to add a little magic. White gesso was also dotted onto the pages throughout the more solid colours at the top. To complete the page, a simple border was doodled around the outside edges and black Big Brush pen was used to edge and frame the pages.

It turned out just the way I hoped and makes me smile every time I look at it. For me, it seems to capture the fun of creating. To see these and other fabulous images by Janet Klein, be sure to pop over to Vera Lane Studio on Etsy. Check in with the Facebook group, too...there is inspiration daily and it's a great community.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: