Monday, June 17, 2019

Joggles Art Journal Adventure ~ Week 24 ~ A is for Alice


Hi everyone! One of my favourite classic stories ever is Alice in Wonderland so when I found out the prompt for Week 24 of the Joggles Art Journal Adventure was the letter A, I knew exactly where I was going with this one. I chose an image from Mo's Digital Pencil called Alice with Baby. I love the way Mo depicts Alice...and her facial expression makes me laugh.


I coloured Alice and her wee pig friend with Prismacolor and Polychromos pencils, sticking to a very traditional colour palette for Alice. They were fussy cut leaving the narrow white border, matted with a narrow black border, and popped up on foam tape to create dimension.


The background for the page is a copy of the Duchess page from one of my many AIW books. I printed it on tea dyed copy paper to give it an aged look. To tie the background into the image palette, pink, blue, and teal Neocolor II crayons were applied here and there using a water brush. The first of several circle elements were added using one of the AALL & Create Dot Matrix stamps and Jet Black Archival Ink. Dots were added by sponging Coffee Archival Ink through AALL & Create Lotza Dotz stencil. A third set of circular elements was added by scarping Ranger Texture Paste through TCW Tiny Dots stencil. Black splatter dots came from Jet Black Archival Ink on a TH stamp.


Black checkerboard pattern always springs to mind when I think of Alice in Wonderland so a frame of black and white checked washi tape was adhered to the outside edges of the page. The letter A alphabet card from the TH set was inked around the edge with Black Big Brush Pen before it was attached to the right side of the page with embroidery floss cross stitches. Two more of the stitches were added to the left side to repeat the detail. A bright teal button, which reminded me of those flowers with the faces, was threaded with black embroidery floss and adhered to the top left corner of the page over a scrap of cheesecloth.


To balance the piece and add another little black detail, a punched scalloped border section was added to the bottom right corner. Black pen was used to outline the book title which had disappeared a little in the busy background. A simple outlining of the washi border added a little more depth and drew attention to it.

Thanks for joining Alice, the Duchess' baby, and me today. With an open-ended prompt such as the Letter A, I am curiouser and curiouser to see what direction others in our AJA Facebook group go. We would love to have you join us!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: