Saturday, November 09, 2019

Collaged Bookmarks


Hi everyone! Sometimes when I want to create but can't seem to settle on a particular project, I haul out my scraps and the 2 x 6 inch kraft bookmark blanks I cut and collage away. They make a great little gift, an idea for abandoned art, and are lots of fun to create. It's also something you can leave and go back to easily.


I layer up scraps of book and music paper, cardstock, corrugated coffee sleeve scraps, patterned paper, stamped bits or mop-up papers...anything I like. There are no rules.


I like to add punched or die cut bits, extra tags, metal clips, and fussy cut items like butterflies. I just audition things until I am pleased with the results. They also make great belly bands or tuck spots in junk journals.


For added texture, I layer in pieces of drywall mesh, Texture Paste added through stencils, tea dyed and crumpled pieces of paper, and lots of torn edges.


You can create your own wording and print it off but I often use Small Talk or Chit Chat Stickers. It's a great way to use them up without feeling that you are wasting them.


The edges are always darkened front and back with Coffee Archival Ink and black Big Brush Pen. Finer black Pitt pens are used to outline the sections and to add the faux stitching around the edges, again front and back. I think these would be sweet stocking stuffers or as a little table gift when you are entertaining. I donated over a hundred to my local library who sold them as a fund raiser. Win/win! I also donated hundreds to the Cancer Clinic when I was undergoing chemo to pass out to patients and family to brighten their day. There are so many ideas and I experienced joy in the making and joy in the giving!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: