Monday, July 08, 2019

Joggles Art Journal Adventure ~ Week 27 ~ Things That Fly


Hi everyone! The prompt for Week 27 of the Joggles Art Journal Adventure marks the first Boeing 707 which flew on this day back in 1954. We are asked to include something that flies in our project this week. I love dandelions both when they are bright yellow (I had so many dandelion bouquets as a teacher) and also when they have gone to seed, ready for wish-making. That's the direction I chose to go for my art journal page, and in keeping with my Use It , already! mindset, I have pulled out a stamp which hasn't seen daylight in ages as well as some embossing powder which I'm not sure I ever used before!


I wanted a black background to provide lots of contrast with the metallic two toned embossing powder called Aged Copper by Stampendous. It has both copper and shades of green in it which I thought would be cool for stems and fluffer bases. The dandelion stamps were placed on the black paper in my Misti, and once picked up, were coated with Versamark Ink. The embossing powder was then sprinkled over the Versamark and heat set. It was so fun doing this because it pretty much makes its own decisions on where the copper and where the green will show up. Like magic!


To make the fluffers (the seed parachutes) more realistic (ish), white chalk paint was pounced over those areas attached to the stems as well as the individual parachutes. This was kept light and delicate so that the embossing still showed through. A gold Posca pen and some blue and green metallic gel pens were used to add more linework and detail over the fluffy areas. More of the gold Posca paint pen was used to add dots to the background.


The ground area was created in the same way as the dandelions. A grass stamp and a fern stamp were added to the background with Versamark, sprinkled with the same Aged Copper embossing powder, and heated to melt it. Extra bits of the same colours were added below the grass/ferns as wel as within the embossing to fill them in where needed. A torn strip of kraft cardstock was torn to create ground. It was inked on all sides with Coffee Archival and then stamped with Wendy Vecchi Open Dots stamp with the same ink. The wording, which reminds me that attitude changes everything, was printed on white cardstock and matted with checked kraft washi tape before being popped up with foam tape. To finish the page, one of the metallic gel pens was used to create a scribbly border. I love how it catches the light.

I'm so happy with how this page turned out even though it gave me fits in the photographing part. It's so hard to capture the shimmer and glow which really makes the page so special. You'll just have to use your imagination or take my word for it...LOL. Thanks for stopping by today. To see how others in our wonderful and talented art journal community respond to the Things That Fly prompt, pop over to the Joggles AJA Facebook group throughout the week. It's an awesome place to hang out!

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

No comments: